When you choose your Antenatal Care at Genesis Maternity Clinic, you can choose to have your consultations with our In-House staff midwife or, you may choose a private midwife that practices at Genesis Clinic. If you would prefer to have a private midwife, you may choose your midwife by viewing their contact details here. Please note that you would personally need to contact your chosen Private Midwife to book your appointment, as they are in Private Practice.
When you choose to have your baby in our beautiful In-House Birth Unit, you birth with one of our Genesis Staff Midwives. Our In-House Birth Unit has been developed to make gentle birth available to clients on network restricted medical aids, and to non-medical aid clients with financial constraints.
Our Genesis staff midwives and our private midwives are both qualified medical professionals who provide supportive and comprehensive prenatal care to low risk women. Licensed private midwives are independent healthcare providers and have birthing rights at Genesis Maternity Clinic.
It is our pleasure to care for expectant women of all ages, cultures, religions and family structures.
What you can expect at each antenatal consultation:
The Genesis staff Midwives will ensure that you are well prepared, both physically and emotionally during your pregnancy and for the birth of your baby. You will receive all the necessary check-ups and education at your prenatal consultations, including a referral for your appointment(s) with a Genesis Clinic affiliated gynaecologist.
- Plenty of time to ask questions, discuss desires and expectations, and get to know your midwife.
- Individualized, culturally sensitive care.
- An assumption that pregnancy is a normal, healthy state.
- Generous information and support.
- An expectation that you will participate in all decisions regarding your care.
- Regular risk assessment, including monitoring blood pressure, hands-on belly checks and baby’s heartbeat checks at every visit.
- Routine blood tests done during antenatal visits
- Referrals for ultrasound and consultations to Genesis affiliated Gynaecologists.
- Start care as early in pregnancy as you like.
- Monthly consultations until approximately 28 weeks.
- From 28-36 weeks:every two weeks.
- 36 to birth:weekly visits.
- More frequent visits are available at any time for any reason.
When your baby is due:
- your due date at 40 weeks is really more of a due “zone”
- you may give birth anytime from 37 weeks up to 42 weeks
- first time moms often give birth closer to 41 weeks
Costs for the Antenatal Consultations:
First antenatal consultation: R270
Antenatal Check-ups: R220
Postnatal Check-up: R220
Midwife delivery fee in the In-House Birth Unit: R4000
One of the appointed Genesis staff Midwives on duty will provide comforting support, grounded reassurance and professional clinical care on the day of the birth of your baby. Each private birth-room has ample space and is a tranquil environment to move about freely whilst you are in labour. The birth tub provides women with the choice to have a waterbirth if desired. Necessary medical supplies and equipment are always close at hand. At each birth, a second Genesis staff Midwife assists at the birth as well. With our state-of-the-art theatre and our neonatal high care unit, you are reassured that we have all the necessary medical back-up in the event of a caesarean section that may be needed.
Please contact the clinic to book your appointment with the In-House Midwife, Sister Femke van Doesum.
Our reception hours are: Monday to Friday: 08:00-16:00 Saturday:08:00-15:00 Sunday:08:00-12:00
Tel: (011) 544 9800.
Please note: No antenatal or postnatal appointments can be booked via email.