There is power that comes to women when they give birth. They don’t ask for it, it simply invades them. It accumulates like clouds on the horizon and passes through, carrying the child with it.
I am Deidre, a wife to the best husband and father on earth, a Mother to 3 beautiful girls, and a passionate midwife. Even while I was still studying general, community, psychiatric nursing, I already knew that I loved midwifery most! Not sure if it was due to a good lecturer or if it is even possible to be in a person’s genes, as my late mother was also a passionate midwife.
After completing my initial studies, I worked in government (maternity) for several years were I gained most of my experience, managing complicated births with very little resources. After that we moved to Johannesburg were I worked in different Maternity units of Private hospitals with high patient to staff ratio, the rush and business side of births. I was introduced to the medical model of childbirth and gained a whole new perspective realised how interventions affect the outcome of birth. I have done a lot of elective caesarean sections and could see how much it affect the natural process of everything….. birth experience, the earlier births of babies, breastfeeding and bonding between parents, very little empowerment and confidence after the caesarean sections. I realised the environment around me was against everything I believed in.
Then my passion for childbirth was re-enforced when I started working in an active childbirth unit, where mothers also had a voice in their experience! This is when I combined all my previous and current practical skills to create a very special individual birth experience for every mom.
I then realised that I can make a difference in how families experience birth. I came to the conclusion that I have the best job in the world, sharing other people’s most precious moments with them!
I completed my post graduate degree Admin, education, advanced midwifery and neonatology in 2012. Using that knowledge to educate parents and assisting them in the type of birth they wanted and assistance during postpartum period and breastfeeding. As I spend more time with pregnant and new parents, I realised that a lot of parents have immense fears and lack of knowledge in the beginning of their pregnancy and hence they have regrets about making wrong choices.
I decided I want to help new parents have the best possible start to their pregnancy. I believe that you can eradicate fear with the right knowledge, the more you know the more you will be able to control a situation and protect yourself from getting hurt.
I want to inspire all new parents to be constantly inquisitive and to gain as much knowledge as they could to make informed choices. I love being a Mom, my eldest were born in 2006, and the twins in 2011. Being a mother is not the easiest job in the world, but believing in yourself and being well informed definitely helps! Empowerment and informed decisions are key aspects to ensure a positive birth experience…… and the best kick off to a lifetime of good mothering.
We believe in personalised care. We don’t only care for the physical wellness of mother and baby, but also have a individualised relationship with our clients we also care for the emotional and psychological health of the new family.
- Reasonable 24 hour availability for emergencies throughout the client’s pregnancy, labour and birth.
- Ordering of clinical laboratory testing, including arrangement of referral of high risk clients
- Any referrals or transfer of care will be done after discussion and agreement between midwife and client.
- Consults: (Not included in birth fee) R400 paid in cash on day of consultation
- Early pregnancy consultations 4 weekly from 20w, 2 weekly from 28w and weekly from 36 until birth.
- Antenatal visit to Genesis obstetrician at 36w will be at the cost of the client.
- Advantages of a doula for antenatal labour and postnatal care
- Antenatal weekend workshop will be recommended to all new clients
- CTG during antenatal period if necessary.
- Advice and interventions of natural inductions after 40 w.
- Medical Induction of labour: if medically indicated or at 40w +10d (No Social inductions)
Labour and delivery
- Once notified that client is in true labour, Deidre will contact facility to inquire on availability of beds and book a bed accordingly.
- Deidre or client can notify doula (Maggie) to assist her during early phases of labour
- Deidre will keep telephonic contact until client is ready to go to hospital or come and asses you at home depending on where you stay.
- Once at the hospital I will assess client According to SA guidelines and notify back up obstetrician if any complications arise.
- Assistance and support during birth and put baby on your chest and initiate the “Golden hour”
- In case of an emergency I will notify necessary medical practitioners to assist in the delivery of your baby whilst still supporting you and try to ensure you have a positive birth experience.
Immediate postnatal assistance (Included in birthing fees)
- Two postnatal visits of which first in hospital, follow up of cord blood results, included in birth fee
- Breastfeeding education and support.
- Assessment and diagnosis of neonatal jaundice, assistance, blood test, and referral if needed!
- 6 week postnatal check-up and pap smear (not included in birthing fees)
I also offer a birth preparation, weekend workshop that I recommend to all first time parents; it will help you prepare physically and psychologically for labour, birth and the early days of your new-born.
Wednesdays from 08:00 to 16:00.
Genesis Clinic Consulting Rooms, 5 Northwold Drive, Saxonwold.