Birth matters. It brings us into being, on many levels.
~ Ananda Lowe
We have compiled a list of our most Frequently Asked Questions and have tried to anticipate questions you may have about Genesis Maternity Clinic and our services. Most questions about midwifery care often center around practice philosophies. We will do our best to answer most of your questions here, so that when you do come in to for your first Antenatal Consultation, we can enjoy getting to know you a little better and continue answering additional questions you may have.
If you need additional assistance, please email email@example.com or contact us on 011 544 9800.
- Genesis Maternity Clinic offers maternity care in a safe and comfortable setting and the clinic is geared towards healthy, low-risk mothers and healthy babies.
- We involve the entire family in the pregnancy and birth. Partners are encouraged to come to antenatal visits and classes, we believe in family-centred care.
- Families who choose a Genesis Maternity Clinic are fully educated on pregnancy, labour and birth, breastfeeding, nutrition, newborn assessment, and postnatal care.
- Genesis Maternity Clinic offers a relaxed atmosphere, and can feel like home, where the rooms do not look clinical, and we encourage you to bring music, and to create your own space when birthing.
- Genesis Maternity Clinic offers privacy, where your needs are respected.
- Genesis Maternity Clinic provides an alternative to childbirth in a hospital. Women are empowered and given control during their labour and birth. Women wear their own clothes and are encouraged to eat and drink during labour and to walk around. Women may also bring their birth support team, such as partners, Doulas, or any other family member, children are welcome at the birth too.
- The birthing mother can choose to labour in the water birth, on birth balls, on a birthing stool, or in any other position that is comfortable for her.
- The midwife is with her throughout labour. When it is time to give birth, the woman follows her body to get into the best position: hands and knees, squatting, sitting, lying on her side, or whatever feels right.
Genesis Maternity Clinic promotes breastfeeding and babies are placed skin-to-skin with the mother immediately and breastfeed well within the first hour after birth.
- There is no separation of mother and baby and all of the infant’s care is done in front of the family, (unless medical intervention is necessary).
- We do not cut routine episiotomies; instead, we assist ease the passage of the baby. If you would need an episiotomy, it would be for medical reasons.
- We believe that women know how to give birth. By creating healthy pregnancies and minimizing interventions during labour, we focus on preventing complications.
- If a problem develops, we work handing hand with the Genesis affiliated OB/GYN and we have a theatre on our premises should a caesarean be necessary. If the mother or the baby develops a problem, seamless transition to appropriate medical care is made available.
Learn more about the benefits of:
Every mother giving birth at our clinic is supported either by one of our practicing private midwives or by one of our qualified staff midwives – healthcare professionals who have undergone extensive training specialising in normal, natural child birth. At the same time you are given full access to the same antenatal examinations, testing, vital signs monitoring and supervision you would enjoy under the care of a obstetrician. The modern midwife is a healthcare professional who undergoes extensive training and specialises in natural normal birth. They work with women and their families throughout pregnancy, childbirth and in the weeks following birth. A midwife provides personal, more intimate care than generally associated with a physician and respects the natural process of pregnancy, labour and birth. They have the expertise and skills necessary to care for healthy women with low risk pregnancies and at the same time maintain associations with other healthcare providers. Midwives consider birth a natural event in women’s lives.
More than 80% of women are low-risk for complications for pregnancy and birth, so most women are good candidates for midwifery-led care. Midwives are best for healthy women who are ready to take an active role in their health care. We ask that clients make their first consultation with either an Independent Midwife or the Staff Midwives so they can assess the health of you and your baby.
We believe that pregnancy is normal and that your body knows how to give birth. Your age and number of prior pregnancies do not matter to us, as long as you are healthy. We can deliver babies after 37 weeks gestation (3 weeks before your due date) and up to 42 weeks gestation (two weeks past your due date). However, there are high-risk situations that are not appropriate Genesis Maternity Clinic. High-risk situations that are not suitable for Genesis include chronic high blood pressure, pregnancy induced hypertension/ preeclampisa (aka toxemia), or a medical problem with the baby (heart defect, etc) that will require special care. The midwife will be able to determine if your pregnancy is low-risk, and for this reason you need to have your first consultation with a midwife before you can book into Genesis Clinic.
Midwives are well-trained to recognize any complications that may affect the health and safety of you and your baby and will consult with the OB/GYN as needed for complications. A few antenatal appointments will also be carried out by a Genesis Maternity Clinic- affiliated private OB/GYN. This will ensure that you have no severe medical issues and that your pregnancy is low risk. However, should the need for a Caesarean section arise, your OB/GYN and the medical team are on standby at our operating theatre on site at the Genesis Maternity Clinic premises.
If your pregnancy is no longer eligible for a birth at Genesis Maternity Clinic, you may continue to be cared for by the Genesis affiliated OB/GYN.
If complications arise, whilst you are in labour, clients will be taken to our on-site theatre for the procedure will be done by the OB/GYN along with the anaesthetist, paediatrician and medical team. The midwives will remain part of the care in a supportive role.
We have all the proper procedures and equipment available to deal with any medical emergency.
If you have one caesarean section and you would try to have a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Caesarean), you would need to make an appointment with an Independent Midwife who specialises in VBAC’s. You cannot use the services of the staff midwives if you are a VBAC client. The Independent Midwife will assess if you are a suitable candidate for a VBAC.
We do not perform elective caesarean sections at Genesis Maternity Clinic, nor do we do VBAC’s after more than one caesarean section.
Independent Midwife: Genesis Maternity Clinic is a base for a host of independent midwives. An independent midwife works in her own private practice, with birthing rights at Genesis Maternity Clinic. She will be your main caregiver for your antenatal consultations, birth of your baby as well as providing postnatal care and support. Choosing an independent midwife is based on contacting a few midwives, so you can find someone with whom you connect with and grow a relationship with throughout your maternity care and for the birth of your baby. Independent midwives also offer a more personal service and one-on-one care and their rates are charged separately from the Genesis facility fees.
You can contact the independent midwives from the list provided here.
Genesis Staff /In-House Midwives: When you choose to birth in the In-House Birth Unit, one of the appointed Genesis staff midwives on duty will provide antenatal care throughout your pregnancy and a staff midwife on duty will assist you with the labour and birth of your baby. When you choose the Staff Midwives you will not be able to choose a specific midwife, as the staff midwife on duty will be available to assist you. To enquire more about this service and to view the clinic, we advise you book for a Tour, you may view the dates here.
To make a booking with a staff midwife, please contact the clinic on 011 544 9800.
We have three Neonatal Stabilisations Units at Genesis Maternity Clinic. The paediatricians have all the medical equipment at hand, should a newborn need any medical assistance.
We currently do not have a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Genesis Maternity Clinic, For this reason all newborns must be on a medical aid, in case of a transfer needed to another Life Healthcare facility.
Yes, we do. It is a requirement that all of our babies are examined post birth to be screened for certain conditions that can present in the newborn period as well as any congenital abnormalities such as critical congenital heart disease. In the event of a caesaerean section, a paediatrician is required to be present at the time of the caesaeraen section to ensure baby’s safety.
Dr Bopape is the resident Paediatrician at Genesis Clinic and is available for daily rounds for all newborn babies born at Genesis Maternity Clinic, and has the full support of Locum Paediatricians who will be available after hours and weekends.
Yes, we do offer epidurals at Genesis Clinic, keeping in mind that this is something you need to discuss with your midwife, as there are pros and cons when having an epidural.
There are many other pain relief options available at Genesis Maternity Clinic, such as entonox, (which is a mixture of nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and oxygen), pethidine and TENS machine (or transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) to name a few. There are pros and cons to all of these and you must discuss these with you midwife.
You may use more natural methods such as the water birth bath, massage, breathing, and the use of a Doula, whom is an expert in assisting labouring and birthing women.
Yes, we offer water births, in our beautiful water birth baths.
A water birth is when a woman labours and chooses to give birth, while in a bath filled with warm water, as well as a solution of salt to make it into a saline solution, which is added to the water at a temperature of between 36.5 to 37.5°C. Some women choose to labour in water, but not actually birth in the water.
Many mothers choose to labour in water because they find it soothing and are able to relax more and so experience their contractions as less intense.
Genesis Maternity Clinic considers education and knowledge a vital component of your journey during pregnancy. Your wellness, both physically and mentally is paramount. The services are run by professionals and bookings need to be made via their business contact details as below.
- Antenatal Consultations: Every mother giving birth at our clinic is supported either by one of our practicing independent midwives or by one of our qualified staff midwives for their antenatal examinations, testing, vital signs monitoring and supervision you would enjoy under the care of a obstetrician, as well as supporting you at the birth of your baby. Please learn more about this service here.
- Independent Midwives: Genesis Maternity Clinic operates as an operating base for a several independent midwives. Please learn more about their service here.
- Obstetricians: OB/GYN’s that support midwife deliveries at Genesis Maternity Clinic. It is a requirement that each mother sees an affiliated Genesis OB/GYN. Please view the list of Obstetricians here.
- Paediatrician: Dr Bopape has been practising as a Doctor for over 16 years, and is specialised as a Paediatrician. She is an expert in her field and provides a compassionate and caring service that is focused on your child’s individual health care needs. Please learn more about this service here.
- Ultrasound Scans: Maryke Kilian performs ultrasound scans ranging from early pregnancy scan to 2D and 4D scans at Genesis Maternity Clinic. Bookings are essential and can be done by contacting Jenny on 071 154 0223. Please learn more about this service here.
- Baby Wellness Clinic: You may book for a consultation at the Baby Wellness Clinic for check-ups and immunisations, Booking is essential. Please learn more about this service here.
- Antenatal Workshops, Classes and Courses: The classes and workshops are facilitated by birth professionals, who offer education and support for antenatal, labour and birth preparation. The classes aim to help mothers and fathers-to-be to have an enjoyable pregnancy and memorable birthing experience and to support you from the moment you discover you’re pregnant.
- The Spa: Pregnancy and non-pregnancy massages and other beauty treatments available all at the convenience at the Genesis Clinic premises. Please learn more about this service here.
- Private Doulas: A doula offers emotional and physical support to a woman and her partner before, during and after childbirth. The role of the birth doula encompasses the non-medical aspects of care during childbirth. Please learn more about this service here.
- Breastfeeding Support: Laura Sayce, is a Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) and facilitates the breastfeeding support group every Wednesday morning, Please learn more about this service here.
- First Aid & CPR Courses: This is an essential course for all parents. Please learn more about this service here.
- Chiropractor: Dr Susan is a neurologically based chiropractor and registered Chiropractor practicing at Genesis Maternity Clinic. Please learn more about this service here.
- Homoeopath: Dr Candice Naida Barnard is a registered homoeopath consulting at Genesis Maternity Clinic. Please learn more about this service here.
- Therapeutic Reflexologist: Michelle Walton is a Therapeutic Reflexologist specialising in maternity to help women achieve and maintain health and wellness using reflexology, lifestyle and good nutritional advise, which will support them through-out their pregnancy and beyond. Please learn more about this service here.
- Counselling: Sally Baker has been passionate about women and woman’s issues for as long as she can remember. She is a mother, social worker, ex-doula, childbirth educator, counsellor, mentor, trainer and facilitator. Please learn more about this service here.
- Audiologist: If you would like to get your newborn tested at Genesis Maternity Clinic, a qualified audiologist will visit you soon after your birth to request if you would like this service. Please learn more about this service here.
The midwives prefer to start your antenatal care from about week 12-16. However if at any stage of pregnancy you decide to move your care over to Genesis Clinic, please note that the latest you can move over would be by week 34 for clients wanting to use the Staff Midwives, and if you would like to use the services of an Independent Midwife, you would have to enquire with them individually and see if they can take you on as a client. All clients need to be see a few times by a Genesis affiliated OB/GYN ,the last appointment would be by 36 weeks of your pregnancy.
You will need to confirm your pregnancy with an ultrasound scan at approximately week 8 of your pregnancy, if you have already had your scan, and all is well, then you can book with your choice of either an independent midwife, or the Genesis staff midwives as she will assess you to confirm all is healthy with you and your baby. You are given full access to the same antenatal examinations, testing, vital signs monitoring and supervision you would enjoy under the care of a obstetrician. You should start your antenatal care at 16 weeks, however you can start earlier if you wish.
Antenatal consultations with a midwife: (independent or staff midwife)
- Monthly consultations until approximately 28 weeks.
- Bi-weekly from week 28 to week 36.
- Weekly from week 36 to birth.
- More frequent visits are available at any time for any reason. Your due date at 40 (+) weeks is really more of a due “zone”You could give birth anytime from 37 weeks up to 42 weeks
- First time moms often give birth closer to 41 weeks
To view our list of Genesis affiliated Obstetricians please view here.
A mother that has a natural birth usually stays at the clinic to recuperate from 24 to 48 hours after admission, or if she needs a caesarean section, she will stay for 72 hours from time of admission. Medical Aid clients are charged according to the Life Healthcare scale of benefits as negotiated by your medical aid. The duration of your stay is dependant on your Medical Aid, or if your midwife has assessed you and has given you the permission to be discharged.