Karen van der Merwe is an Independent Private Midwife who provides a comprehensive but easily understood 6 week antenatal “Birth & early parenting course” which is aimed at couples who are having a midwife-led birth. Her aim is to prepare you & your partner physically, psychologically & emotionally for the birth of your baby & beyond.
Edu-Birth: Antenatal Classes: 2019
The commencement dates for our 2019 antenatal classes held at Genesis Maternity Clinic on Monday evenings are:
- Course 1: 28 January
- Course 2: 29 April
- Course 3: 22 July
- Course 4: 21 October
Ideally you need to book early & be available to start when you are between 20 to 30 weeks pregnant.
The course consists of 6 classes held over a seven-week period, once a week on a Monday evening from 6:30 to 9:30 pm. (In the event that the Monday falls on a public holiday, then that class is carried over to the following week) It is quite a comprehensive course & should prepare both you & your partner well.
Outline of the course content:
- Reasons for childbirth education
- Birth options & choices,
- Anatomy & physiology
- Introduction to breathing, relaxation & visualisation techniques (LAMAZE)
- Warning signs & foetal movements
An Introduction: “The Business Of Being Born” will be shown
- Onset of labour
- Stages of labour
- True/False Labour
- Breathing & relaxation techniques
- When to call your midwife / Go to hospital.
Video: A midwife home water birth movie will be shown
- Breathing, relaxation & visualisations
- Active participation in labour (Active childbirth)
- Non-medical forms of pain relief
- The Back labour
- Pelvic floor exercise
- Perineal massage
- Role of the “Doula”
Video: Active childbirth/midwife birth
- Mechanism of the birth of your baby & placenta
- Assisted birth – (Forceps/Vacuum)
- Birth Injuries
- Medical options for pain relief :
- Pethidine & Aterax
Video: Doctors active management of labour, with epidural anaesthetic & delivery of the baby.
- A chat with new parents relating to their personal experience of labour & caesarean section birth
- Or a Video: Why choose a midwife? Challenging the high rate of caesarean sections.
- Medical interventions including:
- Maintaining Hydration in labour
- Intravenous therapy
- Induction/Augmentation of labour
- Artificial rupture of the membranes
- Foetal heart rate monitoring
- The “Caesarean Birth Experience”
- Video – “Spinal Anaesthetic & Caesarean Section”
- The newborn baby
- Apgar scoring
- Postnatal adjustments & challenges
- A chat with new parents: relating to their own experience of labour & birth.
- Postnatal care after birth & discharge home,
- Emergency childbirth
To secure your place on the course, payment is please to be made in full prior to your commencement & to prevent overbooking. Unfortunately the numbers of people are restricted & preference will go to those who have paid unless other arrangements have been agreed upon.
The cost for the course is: R2,650 per couple for the 6 week course or R1,800 for the 4 week refresher course which is the first 4 classes.
Individually selected classes will be charged at R475 each.
If payment is to be made in cash it can be made on commencing the first class.
If you should cancel before the course commences after making payment, or after commencement of the course then a R475 admin fee will be deducted from your payment.
You may submit your invoice/receipt to the medical aid for reimbursement of what will be due to you. (NB: It is the member’s responsibility to confirm benefits relating to antenatal classes with their medical aid as these will vary from scheme to scheme & not all medical funds have benefits for antenatal classes)
You must submit your invoice/receipt to the medical aid for reimbursement of what will be due to you. (NB: It is the member’s responsibility to confirm benefits relating to antenatal classes with their medical aid as these will vary from scheme to scheme & not all medical funds have benefits for antenatal classes)
The upcoming dates for commencement of the full & refresher courses for 2019 are as follows:
Group 1:-28th January, 4th, 11th, 25th February, 4th, 11th March
Group 2: -29th April, 6th, 13th, 27th May, 3rd, 10th June
Group 3: – 22nd, 29th July, 5th, 19th, 26th August, 2nd September
Group 4: – 21st, 28th October, 4th,18th, 25th November, 2nd December
Closed from 9th December 2019 – Reopens 27th January 2020
The training room, Genesis Maternity Clinic. 5 Northwold Dr, Cnr Jan Smuts Avenue. Saxonwold, Johannesburg.
- Mondays: 18h30 to 21h30
- In the event that the Monday falls on a public holiday, then that class is carried over to the following week.
How to book:
You can register for the course anytime, but will start after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
Karen: 082 335 7731
Send an so that I can send you the provisional booking form to complete
Space is limited and booking is essential.