We have compiled a list of our most Frequently Asked Questions and have tried to anticipate questions you may have about Genesis Maternity Clinic and our services. Most questions about midwifery care often center around practice philosophies. We will do our best to answer most of your questions here, so that when you do come in to for your first Antenatal Consultation, we can enjoy getting to know you a little better and continue answering additional questions you may have.
If you need additional assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Genesis Maternity Clinic offers maternity care in a safe and comfortable setting and the clinic is geared towards healthy, low-risk mothers and healthy babies.
- We involve the entire family in the pregnancy and birth. Partners are encouraged to come to antenatal visits and classes, we believe in family-centred care.
- Families who choose a Genesis Maternity Clinic are fully educated on pregnancy, labour and birth, breastfeeding, nutrition, newborn assessment, and postnatal care.
- Genesis Maternity Clinic offers a relaxed atmosphere, and can feel like home, where the rooms do not look clinical, and we encourage you to bring music, and to create your own space when birthing.
- Genesis Maternity Clinic offers privacy, where your needs are respected.
- Genesis Maternity Clinic provides an alternative to childbirth in a hospital. Women are empowered and given control during their labour and birth. Women wear their own clothes and are encouraged to eat and drink during labour and to walk around. Women may also bring their birth support team, such as partners, Doulas, or any other family member, children are welcome at the birth too.
- The birthing mother can choose to labour in the water birth, on birth balls, on a birthing stool, or in any other position that is comfortable for her.
- The midwife is with her throughout labour. When it is time to give birth, the woman follows her body to get into the best position: hands and knees, squatting, sitting, lying on her side, or whatever feels right. Genesis Maternity Clinic promotes breastfeeding and babies are placed skin-to-skin with the mother immediately and breastfeed well within the first hour after birth.
- There is no separation of mother and baby and all of the infant’s care is done in front of the family, (unless medical intervention is necessary).
- We do not cut routine episiotomies; instead, we assist ease the passage of the baby. If you would need an episiotomy, it would be for medical reasons.
- We believe that women know how to give birth. By creating healthy pregnancies and minimizing interventions during labour, we focus on preventing complications.
- If a problem develops, we work handing hand with the Genesis affiliated OB/GYN and we have a theatre on our premises should a caesarean be necessary. If the mother or the baby develops a problem, seamless transition to appropriate medical care is made available.
Antenatal consultations with a midwife: (independent or staff midwife)
- Monthly consultations until approximately 28 weeks.
- Bi-weekly from week 28 to week 36.
- Weekly from week 36 to birth.
- More frequent visits are available at any time for any reason. Your due date at 40 (+) weeks is really more of a due “zone”You could give birth anytime from 37 weeks up to 42 weeks
- First time moms often give birth closer to 41 weeks
Independent MidwifeGenesis Maternity Clinic is a base for a host of independent midwives. An independent midwife works in her own private practice, with birthing rights at Genesis Maternity Clinic. She will be your main caregiver for your antenatal consultations, birth of your baby as well as providing postnatal care and support. Choosing an independent midwife is based on contacting a few midwives, so you can find someone with whom you connect with and grow a relationship with throughout your maternity care and for the birth of your baby. Independent midwives also offer a more personal service and one-on-one care and their rates are charged separately from the Genesis facility fees. You can contact the independent midwives from the list provided here. Our "Meet the Midwife" and Info Sessions offer the client who wants an Independent Midwife, the opportunity to meet a few of the Independent Midwives. This gives you the chance to meet and greet and ask them questions about their practice and packages. You can view the dates for these Info Sessions here,
Genesis Staff /In-House MidwivesWhen you choose to birth in the In-House Birth Unit, one of the appointed Genesis staff midwives on duty will provide antenatal care throughout your pregnancy and a staff midwife on duty will assist you with the labour and birth of your baby. When you choose the Staff Midwives you will not be able to choose a specific midwife, as the staff midwife on duty will be available to assist you. To enquire more about this service and to view the clinic, we advise you book for a Tour, you may view the dates here. To make a booking with a staff midwife, please contact the clinic on 011 544 9800.
- Antenatal Consultations: Every mother giving birth at our clinic is supported either by one of our practicing independent midwives or by one of our qualified staff midwives for their antenatal examinations, testing, vital signs monitoring and supervision you would enjoy under the care of a obstetrician, as well as supporting you at the birth of your baby. Please learn more about this service here.
- Independent Midwives: Genesis Maternity Clinic operates as an operating base for a several independent midwives. Please learn more about their service here.
- Obstetricians: OB/GYN's that support midwife deliveries at Genesis Maternity Clinic. It is a requirement that each mother sees an affiliated Genesis OB/GYN. Please view the list of Obstetricians here.
- Paediatrician: Dr Bopape has been practising as a Doctor for over 16 years, and is specialised as a Paediatrician. She is an expert in her field and provides a compassionate and caring service that is focused on your child’s individual health care needs. Please learn more about this service here.
- Ultrasound Scans: Maryke Kilian performs ultrasound scans ranging from early pregnancy scan to 2D and 4D scans at Genesis Maternity Clinic. Bookings are essential and can be done by contacting Jenny on 071 154 0223. Please learn more about this service here.
- Baby Wellness Clinic: You may book for a consultation at the Baby Wellness Clinic for check-ups and immunisations, Booking is essential. Please learn more about this service here.
- Antenatal Workshops, Classes and Courses: The classes and workshops are facilitated by birth professionals, who offer education and support for antenatal, labour and birth preparation. The classes aim to help mothers and fathers-to-be to have an enjoyable pregnancy and memorable birthing experience and to support you from the moment you discover you’re pregnant.
- The Spa: Pregnancy and non-pregnancy massages and other beauty treatments available all at the convenience at the Genesis Clinic premises. Please learn more about this service here.
- Private Doulas: A doula offers emotional and physical support to a woman and her partner before, during and after childbirth. The role of the birth doula encompasses the non-medical aspects of care during childbirth. Please learn more about this service here.
- Breastfeeding Support: Laura Sayce, is a Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) and facilitates the breastfeeding support group every Wednesday morning, Please learn more about this service here.
- First Aid & CPR Courses: This is an essential course for all parents. Please learn more about this service here.
- Chiropractor: Dr Susan is a neurologically based chiropractor and registered Chiropractor practicing at Genesis Maternity Clinic. Please learn more about this service here.
- Homoeopath: Dr Candice Naida Barnard is a registered homoeopath consulting at Genesis Maternity Clinic. Please learn more about this service here.
- Therapeutic Reflexologist: Michelle Walton is a Therapeutic Reflexologist specialising in maternity to help women achieve and maintain health and wellness using reflexology, lifestyle and good nutritional advise, which will support them through-out their pregnancy and beyond. Please learn more about this service here.
- Counselling: Sally Baker has been passionate about women and woman’s issues for as long as she can remember. She is a mother, social worker, ex-doula, childbirth educator, counsellor, mentor, trainer and facilitator. Please learn more about this service here.
- Audiologist: If you would like to get your newborn tested at Genesis Maternity Clinic, a qualified audiologist will visit you soon after your birth to request if you would like this service. Please learn more about this service here.