Come and spend a weekend with Mother Instinct to prepare you for your birthing. At our antenatal classes we use a variety of teaching methods to ensure active participation.
Our classes aim to:
- Optimise the chances of a good birth experience.
- Equip you with information to make informed choices.
- What to expect during labour and birth.
- Clarify what a woman’s needs are during labour.
- Demistifying pain during labour and birth.
- Explanation of different pain relief methods.
- Signs of labour and when to contact your birth team.
- Body movement and positions for labour.
- What your birth partner and /or Doula can do for you.
- Your birth plan.
- Making difficult decisions during labour and birth.
- Providing guidance for birth partner.
- Breastfeeding basics.
- The early days with your new baby.
Meet your antenatal workshop facilitators:
Tertia Alkema: Doula and co-owner of Mother Instinct and mother of two.
I’m a mother of two boys, a wife of a loving supportive husband and a Doula. My two boys were both born at home. My firstborn was a water birth, born in the afternoon after a textbook labour. My youngest was born on a mattress in the living room at midnight during a stormy night after a very quick labour.
The way I perceived birth was revealed to me when I tagged along with my sister to a midwives conference in Paris, France. I sat in on a talk and video about water birth and cried as a “reborn” throughout! I knew then from that moment on, without any doubt, that that was what I would want to experience one day when it is time for me to give birth.The excitement of meeting so many wonderful midwives and gaining the knowledge of how birth is supposed to be just grew, and today and which is why we want to spread the word!
Laura Sayce: International Breastfeeding Consultant and mother of two.
Parenting is the most profound journey we will take. The little people who enter our lives change us in more ways than anything we will ever encounter. It is a time of joy, adventure, blessings, fear, doubt, laughter, tears, frustration and any other emotion you can imagine.
Our birth choices are based on our desire to protect them, to give them the best start in life. And so are all of our parenting choices. No one way is the best way but there are many different choices we can make along the way. As a professional Doula (Birth and Postnatal) and as an International Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) I would like to support you through this journey, from belly to breast. My aim is to provide parents with helpful information and a variety of solutions for you to try. I approach this through gentle parenting – which I believe is the closest to how nature intended.
Cost: R1700: This covers the cost of a weekend for both you and your partner. This includes a snack on the Friday evening and muffins and fruit for breakfast on the Saturday and Sunday.
You will receive complimentary gifts and each couple will be given handouts and selected resource information to use for their births. New parents will share their experience at each class. Booking is essential.
- Friday: 18:30 to 21:30
- Saturday: 08:30 to 13:00
- Sunday: 08:30 to 13:00
Weekend Workshop Dates
- August 2018: 24 & 25 & 26
- September 2018: 28, 29 & 30
- October 2018: 19, 20 & 21
- November 2018: 16, 17 & 18